Nov 25: With the consideration of TRAI Recommendation on “Ensuring Adequate Numbering Resources for Fixed Line and Mobile Services” Department of Telecommunications has taken the decision of implementing the following:
- All Fixed to Mobile calls will be dialed with the prefix ‘0’ from 15th January 2021.
- There will be no change in the dialing plan from fixed to fixed, mobile to fixed, and mobile to mobile calls.
- A suitable announcement will be made for the same. This announcement shall be played whenever a subscriber dials a fixed to mobile call without prefixing ‘0’.
- All fixed-line subscribers will be provided with a ‘0’ dialing facility.
- A total of approximately 2539 million numbering series is expected to be generated from the above. This will free up sufficient numbering resources for future use.
- With the freeing up of sufficient numbering resources, more connections can be added in the future which will be beneficial to the mobile customers at large.
- The above changes have been done in order to have minimum inconvenience to the subscribers and freeing up essential numbering resources.