May 18: Union Finance & Corporate Affairs Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman has announced several initiatives to boost the education sector. The Minister said that investing in the human capital is equivalent to an investment in productivity and prosperity of the nation. The present pandemic situation has presented new challenges and several opportunities for our education system.
The Minister highlighted that the education sector has taken this opportunity to plan several interventions, particularly in the area of adopting innovative curriculum and pedagogies, concentrating energies on the gap areas, being more inclusive and integrating technology at every stage, to usher in a new era of focussed investment in the human capital.
Finance Minister further said that the government is committed to ensuring learning for all, with equity, so as to cover all students at all levels of education and in all geographical locations, even in the remotest parts of the country.
Union Finance Minister announced the immediate set of initiatives in this direction includes:
- PM e-VIDYA will be launched which unifies all efforts related to digital/online/on-air education.
- Manodarpan to provide provide psychosocial support to students, teachers and families for mental health and emotional wellbeing.
- Open, distance and online education regulatory framework to be liberalized
- New National Curriculum and Pedagogical Framework for school education, teacher education and early childhood stage to prepare students and future teachers as per global benchmarks.
- A National Foundational Literacy and Numeracy Mission will be launched, for ensuring that every child in the country necessarily attains foundational literacy and numeracy in Grade 3