Dec 28: The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) issued a notification G.S.R 901(E) on 22 December 2022 to promote ease of doing business and transparency in the sale and purchase of registered vehicles through dealers.
The pre-owned car market in India has been gradually gaining ground. In recent years, the advent of online marketplaces, which are involved in buying and selling pre-owned vehicles has further given a boost to this market.
In the current ecosystem, many issues were being faced viz. during the transfer of the vehicle to the subsequent transferee, disputes in regard to third-party damage liabilities, difficulty in determination of defaulter etc.
MoRTH has now amended Chapter III of Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989 to build a comprehensive regulatory ecosystem for the pre-owned car market.
The key provisions of the proposed rules are as follows:
1. An authorization certificate for the dealers of registered vehicles has been introduced to identify the authenticity of a dealer.
2. Furthermore, the procedure for intimation of delivery of the vehicle between the registered owner and the dealer has been detailed.
3. The powers and responsibilities of a dealer in possession of registered vehicles have also been clarified.
4. Dealers have been empowered to apply for renewal of registration certificate/ renewal of the certificate of fitness, duplicate registration certificate, NOC, and transfer of ownership, of motor vehicles in their possession.
5. As a regulatory measure, maintenance of an electronic vehicle trip register has been mandated which would contain details of the trip undertaken viz. trip purpose, driver, time, mileage etc.
These rules will aid in recognizing and empowering intermediaries/dealers of registered vehicles as well as provide adequate safeguards against fraudulent activities in the selling or purchasing of such vehicles.Disclaimer: We donot claim that the images used as part of the news published are always owned by us. From time to time, we use images sourced as part of news or any related images or representations. Kindly take a look at our image usage policy on how we select the image that are used as part of the news.