May 13:After a record performance in the last financial year, the exports continued robust growth in April 2022 with merchandise exports scaling a new high by crossing USD 40 bn. This is an increase of over 30% vis-à-vis April 2021. Petroleum products (127.69%), Electronic goods (71.69%), cereals (60.83%), coffee (59.38%), processed food (38.82%), and leather product (36.68%) exports led the way in achieving the record performance. Services performed extremely well to reach USD 27.60 bn, which is an increase of 53% over April 2021.
India’s overall exports (Merchandise and Services combined) in April 2022* are estimated to be USD 67.79 Billion, exhibiting a positive growth of 38.90 percent over the same period last year. Overall imports in April 2022* are estimated to be USD 75.87 Billion, exhibiting a positive growth of 36.31 percent over the same period last year
- Merchandise exports in April 2022 were USD 40.19 Billion, as compared to USD 30.75 Billion in April 2021, exhibiting a positive growth of 30.70 per cent.
- Merchandise imports in April 2022 were USD 60.30 Billion, which is an increase of 30.97 per cent over imports of USD 46.04 Billion in April 2021.
- The merchandise trade deficit in April 2022 was estimated at USD 20.11 Billion as against USD 15.29 Billion in April 2021, which is an increase of 31.50 per cent.
Fig 2: Merchandise Trade during April 2022
- Non-petroleum and non-gems & jewellery exports in April 2022 were USD 28.46 Billion, registering a positive growth of 19.89 per cent over non-petroleum and non-gems & jewellery exports of USD 23.74 Billion in April 2021.
- Non-petroleum, non-gems & jewellery (gold, silver & precious metals) imports were USD 35.68 Billion in April 2022 with a positive growth of 34.37 per cent over Non-petroleum, non-gems & jewellery imports of USD 26.55 Billion in April 2021.
Table 2: Trade excluding Petroleum and Gems & Jewellery during April 2022
|April 2022(USD Billion)||April 2021(USD Billion)||Growth vis-à-vis April 2021 (%)|
|Non-petroleum & Non Gems & Jewellery exports||28.46||23.74||19.89|
|Non-petroleum & Non Gems & Jewellery imports*||35.68||26.55||34.37|
Note: Gems & Jewellery Imports include Gold, Silver & Pearls, precious & Semi-precious stones
Fig 3: Trade excluding Petroleum and Gems & Jewellery during April 2022
- The estimated value of services export for April 2022* is USD 27.60 Billion, exhibiting a positive growth of 52.87 per cent vis-a-vis April 2021 (USD 18.06 Billion).
- The estimated value of services import for April 2022* is USD 15.57 Billion exhibiting a positive growth of 61.87 per cent vis-à-vis April 2021 (USD 9.62 Billion)
- The services trade balance in April 2022* is estimated at USD 12.03 Billion, which is an increase of 42.61 per cent over April 2021 (USD 8.44 Billion).
Fig 4: Services Trade during April 2022*Disclaimer: We donot claim that the images used as part of the news published are always owned by us. From time to time, we use images sourced as part of news or any related images or representations. Kindly take a look at our image usage policy on how we select the image that are used as part of the news.