Feb 09: The details of the present quantum of coal production and annual consumption of coal in the country :
|All IndiaActual Coal Production
|All IndiaActual Coal
|Total Actual Demand/ Consumption of Coal
(Import + Dispatch)
The all-India coal production in the year 2021-2022 was 778.19 Million tonnes (MT) in comparison to 716.08 MT in the year 2020-2021. Further, in the current financial year up to January 2023, the country has produced about 698.24 MT of coal as compared to about 602.49 MT during the same period of last year with a growth of about 16 %. The following measures are taken by the Government to enhance the production of coal in the country:
- Regular reviews by the Ministry of Coal to expedite the development of coal blocks.
- Enactment of Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Amendment Act, 2021 for enabling captive mines owners (other than atomic minerals) to sell up to 50% of their annual mineral (including coal) production in the open market after meeting the requirement of the end use plant linked with the mine in such manner as may be prescribed by the Central Government on payment of such additional amount.
- Single Window Clearance portal for the coal sector to speed up the operationalization of coal mines.
- Project Monitoring Unit for handholding of coal block allottees for obtaining various approvals/clearances for early operationalization of coal mines.
- Commercial auction of coal blocks on a revenue-sharing basis. Under a commercial mining scheme, a rebate of 50 % on the final offer would be allowed for the quantity of coal produced earlier than the scheduled date of production. Also, incentives for coal gasification or liquefaction (a rebate of 50 % on the final offer) have been granted.
- Coal India Limited is adopting Mass Production Technologies (MPT) in its Underground (UG) mines, mainly Continuous Miners (CMs), wherever feasible. Coal India Limited has also envisaged working large numbers of Highwalls (HW) mines in view of the availability of Abandoned / Discontinued mines. Coal India Limited is also planning large-capacity UG mines wherever feasible.
- In its Opencast (OC) mines, Coal India Limited already has State-of-the-Art technology in its high capacity Excavators, Dumpers and Surface Miners. Digitization is being tried on a pilot scale in 7 of its mega mines and shall be replicated further.
- SCCL is expediting the activities to ground new 8 mines (7 mines in Telangana & one in Odisha).