Mar 21:The details of Research and Development (R&D) activities undertaken in the country for the promotion of Khadi by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) during the last three years are given in Annexure-I.
To revitalize Khadi Sector, KVIC is implementing Khadi Reform and Development Programme (KRDP) in the country from the year 2010 for undertaking reforms in the Khadi sector, thereby providing employment opportunities to the artisans associated with Khadi Institutions by providing Direct Reform Assistance (DRA) for procurement of implements and machinery, workshed, bhandar renovation etc.
KVIC is implementing various schemes and programmes for the promotion and development of production, sales and employment in the Khadi Sector. It may be seen from the below table that Khadi production has been showing an increasing trend on year to year basis:
(Rs. in crore)
* figures decreased due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
As regards the export of Khadi, KVIC is not directly involved in the export of Khadi and Village Industries (KVI) products. KVI institutions/units assisted through the implementation of various KVI schemes, export their products directly or through Merchants/Agencies.
Ministry of MSME, through KVIC, is implementing the following schemes/sub-schemes/components for the promotion of the Khadi sector:
- Under Interest Subsidy Eligibility Certificate (ISEC) scheme, credit at the concessional rate of interest of 4% per annum is given for capital expenditure as well as for working capital as per the requirement of Khadi Institutions.
- Modified Market Development Assistance (MMDA) scheme, aims at market segmentation of Khadi products for effective pricing, strengthening marketing network to participate/ organized domestic/international exhibitions, creation of market demand quality products, extending incentives to the artisans/karyakartas infrastructure development etc.
- ‘Workshed Scheme for Khadi Artisans’ scheme aims to provide sufficient space and congenial environment for smooth and fatigue-free working to the Khadi artisans in which KVIC is providing an amount of Rs. 60,000 and Rs. 40,000 per artisan for construction of individual and group Worksheds, respectively.
- KVIC is providing funds for the implementation of various projects for technology up-gradation under the ‘S&T programme’.